Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Book of Mormon Scripture Study Outline










This is my scripture study plan for this year - Book of Mormon. The lessons coordinate with the Book of Mormon Reader. I have this in table format on my computer (much easier to figure out), but since I can't post documents in a blog, this will have to do until I get my website up and running.


First of all, we bought the $3 hardbound missionary Book of Mormon for each child and had their name imprinted on the cover for another $3. There is something about having their name printed on the front that makes it extra cool. Besides, it solves the problem of fighting over Books of Mormon and makes mom's job much easier! The one downside to these Books of Mormon is they do not have the Doctrine & Covenants or Pearl of Great Price, so I had to glue things in the front and back cover (Articles of Faith and Joseph Smith Experience) so we could mark all the scripture mastery and have a place for the Joseph Smith stickers.

Our scripture study with the kids works like this: every morning we have a devotional that goes like this:
Song (same song every morning that goes with scripture story)
Prayer
Scripture story--learn or review (monday we learn the story/read from BOM Reader or scriptures, then tuesday through friday I let the kids take turns reviewing.)
Scripture mastery--learn or review
Additional activity as follows:


Monday - nothing additional--it takes longer to tell the story and introduce scripture mastery
Tuesday - scripture marking & scripture sticker (see notes & picture below)
Wednesday - scripture illustration - the kids draw a picture of the scripture story (see notes & picture below)
Thursday - scripture activity - this can be lots of different things. We get together with our cousins on this day and either act out the scripture story using costumes (see Scripture Heroes post) or do some sort of activity (see scripture activities post)
Friday - scripture hero day - if we have learned about a new main character from the Book of Mormon, then we make a goal in a book that I created with pictures of the scripture characters and lines where they can either make a goal such as: "I can be like Nephi by being willing to do what the Lord asks--I will Go and Do!" If there is not a new scripture character, then Friday is a game day/review time with memory games or other fun scripture games to play.



This is our Scripture Hero/Scripture Journal Book:





I put in enough sheet protectors for the year, and then we just keep adding the pictures as we illustrate the stories. Sometimes we take them when we get together with our cousins and the kids do sort of a show-and-tell and explain their pictures to each other.



To go along with everything, I made scripture stickers for all of the stories we are studying. I did this using the pictures from the Book of Mormon reader which are posted on the Church website. I looked through the Book of Mormon reader, decided which pictures I wanted, then cut and pasted them from the Church website into a word document of Avery Labels. If you don't want to use labels, you could just print them on paper, cut them out and glue them (that sounded too messy for me!) A word of advice if you are using labels, you will need to cut around the picture, and it is much easier to do this beforehand rather than have your anxious children watch you cut them out when they are just dying to put them in their scriptures (believe me, I know!) Also, when cutting them out, peel the entire label off the sheet, cut out the picture and then put the picture back on the label sheet. If you try to cut out the picture with the label backing, it is very difficult to get the back off when it is time to use it! Besides, it is a lot easier to keep track of an entire sheet of labels than a bunch of small pictures that are hard to keep in order.


Here is what the labels look like: (side note, we have a color laser printer. If you have an inkjet you might want to put contact paper over the sticker so it doesn't smear when the kids run their fingers across or get it wet as you know they will! You could actually try just printing the pictures on paper and cutting a piece of contact paper slightly larger than each picture and using the empty contact border to stick the picture to the page instead of messing with glue--somebody let me know if that works!)



My sister in law also came up with the idea of sort of a scripture cue card to help us know exactly which scriptures to mark, which page to put the actual sticker on, and to use as visual cues for the kids. This is what they look like:



I put them on rings and then every Sunday as I get ready for the next week, I just move the next picture(s) over from the stories who haven't done yet to the stories we have done. I also like to take this to church so the kids can flip through and review the stories we have covered so far by looking at the pictures (which are the same as what is in their scriptures), and my older ones can read the scriptures and scripture mastery stuff that is on the back.









This is the main plan, which I will adjust here and there as we work all the way through it.

SS=Scripture Story
BOMReader=Book of Mormon Reader
S=Song
SM=Scripture Mastery




Scripture Mastery Note: There is not a scripture mastery for every week, some are intentionally left for review. Also, some of the scriptures I have simplified for kids. I made posters for the scripture mastery that I put on the fridge and we periodically review during the day or at meal time. My sister-in-law made posters with graphics, and pictures she either cut out or drew. I can't draw and I know that I am way too much of a perfectionist to have made something that I would be okay with--every graphic would have to be the same type or something, so I never got around to doing this even though I think it is a good idea for little ones! We seem to do fine with the kids just repeating what I say.



SS: Joseph Smith
BOMReader: Chapter 1
S: The Golden Plates (pp.86)
The best simple Joseph Smith account came from Preach My Gospel, and this is what I used in the back cover for our scripture marking and scripture stickers. Look under my post for Joseph Smith Experience to see exactly what I put in the back cover.

No comments: