Sunday, November 16, 2008

Use 'em or Lose 'em

Last night on the way home from Grandma and Grandpa's house, the kids were in the van making noise in the back as usual. Actually, Emily was singing and it was bugging Spencer. Spencer asked her to stop, and then came Emily's response: "Spencer, I have to use the talents I have been blessed with or I am going to lose them!! My teacher at church told me this!" Jim and I laughed and silently thanked the primary teachers who do such a good job at teaching our children.

Seconds later, the kids started having the conversation in the van about what their talents are. Emily was quick to list that she is a good singer, good artist, and a good runner. Spencer had a more difficult time and said he didn't have any talents. Jim and I were quick to point out that he was helpful and that was a talent among other things. Then Spencer started to point out his own talents, one of which was also a good runner (I guess our kids really like to run? For Spencer, I think the running talent stemmed from his new shoes he got yesterday. He was a bit disappointed at first that they aren't "air" shoes like his cousin Michael's new shoes which apparently make Michael jump real high :) When Spencer asked me what his shoes did, we decided together that Spencer's new shoes help him be a super lightening fast runner and have an "S" on them for Spencer or super!)

Anyways, the talent conversation made me think back on a few weeks ago in church where I was handed a piece of paper and told to list three talents for Emily and Spencer. I thought it might be good to write them down:

Emily:
Super creative and able to make something out of anything--including empty yogurt or applesauce containers and paper and glue.
Thoughtful--she always is trying to do things to make people feel better. If someone is sick, she is the first to make a get well card.
Helpful (although sometimes selective helpfulness), she is very helpful and I'm glad that I have her to always help me get things for the baby or do things for me.

Spencer:
Sincere--Spencer gives the most thoughtful and sincere prayers I have ever heard. He really thinks about what he is saying.
Happy and Ethusiastic. Spencer gets very excited about things and looks forward to things such as birthdays and special camping trips forever and will talk about them for years after they happen. He is almost always happy.
Service--Spencer is willing to do things for other people and likes to help. He is most often the child who will stick around to help me clean when I have asked for help and does things to try and please me.

Matthew:
Makes others Happy - Matthew just has to smile at people and they will smile back. People just like him and he is fun to be around.
Curious - he is always getting into things, but also loves to help mommy and likes to know how things work.
Sharing - Matthew is very good at sharing and will share without being asked.

Gabe:
Smiley - Gabe loves people and he will almost always give them a big smile.
Peaceful - brings a special peace into our home (especially when he is sleeping ;))
Good-natured - as his little personality starts to develop, I can tell that he is pretty even-tempered and just a good kid.

Jim:
Good leader and priesthood holder. I am grateful for the way that he leads our home and teaches our children. He has a way of making the scriptures come alive for the kids during family scripture study and I love watching him with the children. He is also a great and inspired leader at church and I know that many people look up to and respect him (including his family).
Great husband. Jim treats me well and likes to make sure that I am happy, and when I aint happy, he aint happy! He does things to make sure that I feel special including complimenting me on the way I look, a good meal, and telling me how much he loves me frequently. He goes out of his way to make sure that occasionally I get a special "I Love You" such as fresh flowers or a clean house!
Great friend. I am so lucky to be married to my best friend who helps me and inspires me to be better. He is great at giving advice and helping me see my own potential and ways that I can improve. He is honest (which I really do love most of the time!) and I'm glad that we get to be on this journey together forever because I really don't know what I would do without him!

1 comment:

Grandmajan said...

You truly have a family blessed with many gifts. I am grateful that you are there for and a part of the family I love so much. Jan