Thursday, July 3, 2008

Beginnings

Okay, so this is all new to me. I decided to try out a blog to record some of what goes on around here and make it so family can access cute pics and happenings of our family. It is also a family focus this year to get into family history, so I thought this would be a good start. Once upon a time I was really good at this journal thing--BC that is (before children), so this year I want to come back to my beginnings and focus on those things that are really important.

I say this year and here we are over half way through the year, but what I really mean is this school year. We have been homeschooling the kids, and with Emily technically starting first grade this school year, I feel a need to focus and get myself and the family organized in this homeschooling journey. Last year we just focused on reading, math, and handwriting without science, history, and english. Now that Emily can read very well, I wanted a homeschool plan for teaching science, history, and english.

I had heard about Teri Ebert's Four Year Plan before, but it was another homeschool mom I met at soccer that made me actually buy the book and check things out. We are going to follow this curriculum plan this year, and if all goes well in the future. I like the way this book outlines things, I think partly because this lady is ultra organized and if I were to sit down and outline things, I would have done it very similar to the way she has. How wonderful that she already did it and has years of homeschool experience to know what works best!

I am excited about homeschooling again this year and also I'm excited that this book gave me permission to take the summer off and get organized and ready for the next year. So, with that in mind, I have been tackling home organization projects, the first of which has been organizing all of the children clothing. What a project! I have decided that I am really tired of stuff and want to just elimate and get rid of things I know I am realistically not going to use, so I have sent several bags of stuff to the D.I. We need to clean out our garage so we can empty out the basement room to finish and use as a homeschool/toy/family room. We need to do this soon so that we can get baby out of our room before he gets too big for his bassinet.

Okay, so enough of my ramblings this morning. I have so much to write, but also so much to do as we are leaving on vacation in two days and I'm not even close to ready!!!

No comments: