Spencer had a great birthday complete with Spiderman pinata, Superman cake, and family. He was so excited all day as he helped finish the pinata and watched me frost his cake. He really is a fun child because he is so easy to please. After watching us make a pinata all day, Jim said that if pinatas weren't so much work, we could just make one every day and the kids would always be happy!
The week after Spencer's birthday as I was watching Amy and Drew's children in addition to our own and Jim was on the way up the canyon to youth conference, Spencer decided to fall out of a tree and cut his head open. It was a little crazy, but fortunately my neighbor had just come over to talk with me and was able to help me quickly sort things out and ride with me to the hospital holding Spencer in the back seat while we talked with him the entire way there to keep him from falling asleep. Jim turned around as soon as I called him and was able to make it home before Amy and Drew. Jim got to the hospital before they fixed Spencer's wound, and Drew was also able to come up and help give him a blessing. The cut was way bigger than I had realized when they went to clean it. Before I took him to the hospital, I hadn't examined the exact size of the cut--I just knew it was big and it was deep and I needed to get him to the hospital fast! The cut ended up being about three inches long and 1/2 " deep--the biggest one I have ever seen and the biggest one I ever care to see! Jim turned green when he saw it partially due to the fact that he had not eaten dinner yet and he doesn't handle needles and blood stuff really well. It definitely made me realize that if just one of us has to ever stay with our children during the blood and needle stuff, it probably better be me since I don't think the nurses could pick up a guy Jim's size off the floor!
Spencer was so brave as they put 13 staples in his head. He held really still and did exactly what he was told even though he was really scared. We took him to the store the next day and let him pick out a toy for being so great.
His head healed well and today I took him to get the staples taken out. This was definitely more traumatic for him than getting the staples put in. Scabs had partially formed over some of the staples and it was not fun for him to have them taken out. The nurse was doing her best to be gentle, but it was taking a while and after two staples I was ready to just rip the staple remover from her hand and take them out myself. Spencer got himself really worked up and was screaming and crying hard. He wouldn't hold still and I was telling the nurse to just do it fast. Another nurse came in to help and the nurses were afraid of putting me through trauma watching my son be so upset, but I told them I just wanted it done. They ended up wrapping Spencer in the burrito wrap and holding him down on the table to quickly remove the remaining staples. He ended up calming down at the end when we told him there were only two more left and they were not scabbed over. Can I just say that I am glad it is all done!
This experience has made me realized how quickly things in life can change. One minute your child can be fine, and the next in the E.R. getting 13 staples. I am just so glad that it wasn't more serious. I have tried to enjoy the kids a little more lately and have taken them a lot of places in the last couple of weeks even when I didn't feel like going anywhere just so we could have a good time together. I am incredibly grateful for my beautiful, healthy children and my wonderful husband and I realize how lucky I am to have them and hope I get to keep them around for a very long time!
2 comments:
Pictures...I WANT PICTURES! Poor Spencer, he's such a trooper...with the scar to prove it!
Holy Cow!! I leave for two weeks and so much happens. I probably would have passed out. Good idea keeping Jim away from the blood and needles... his size only makes you think he's tough. Poor Spencer! I cracked my head open once and the stitches coming out hurt WAY more. I threw up. Staples!! What a brave kid.
Post a Comment